January 31, 2008

Let Me Bring You Up to Speed

In the past I purchased a 1970 Volkswagen Type 3 Squareback. I have wanted one ever since I first saw one when I was in high school. Being out of college and having a full time job allowed for some extra cash which I decided to invest in my dream VW. 
I found the car online and it was down in Tucson. So one weekend I made the two hour drive down to our fellow AZ town to take a look. The car had been a daily driver but for the past year it had only been sitting. The car was all original as far as I could make out. I was no VW expert but the car seemed to be in decent shape. A fairly straight body except for some dings and a couple dents in the front end followed with a running engine. It was an automatic, I not a huge fan but I can deal, I wanted to make a cruiser, nothing fast.
I made an offer and picked it up for $2100 with the intention of working on it and restoring it as i had the money for it. The previous owner didn't recommend driving it up to Phoenix but unless I wanted to wait a week or two to get a trailer and make the trip again, I decided to try it. 
Going at a solid 50 or 55 I passed a total of 3 cars, one guy twice, on I-10 and the car did great all the way up to Phoenix. So now I have my weekend driver. 
Emissions, not an easy task or so it seemed at first. I was referred to a VW mechanic in town by a friend. This man who rebuilt VW motors for a living did not work out. Not only did he never answer his phone he would take days to call back. On top of that, my car failed emissions twice. After that I asked a guy at work who knew a bit about VWs and he said take it to Karl's Custom. I called them up, took my car in, 30 minutes later I was driving out and straight to the emissions test and passing, with flying colors. I haven't taken it anywhere else since.

No comments: